Connect to Network Drives used by the College of Liberal Arts on a computer running a Mac operating system.
On a PC, network drives are given a letter designation. This is why you may hear Liberal Arts network drives referred to as the H, S, and U drives.
Connecting Off Campus
If you are connecting to a Liberal Arts network drive off campus, establish a VPN connection first. Instructions can be found here: Connect to TAMU VPN
- Open Finder.
- Under the "Go" menu item click Connect to Server...
- In the "Server Address" field enter the address for the Liberal Arts Network Drive you want to connect to. Please place your department in place of DEPT and your NetID in place of netid. See the next step below for a list of Liberal Arts Network Drives.
Your computer and department are managed with the CLA domain. Map the network drive based on the domain your computer is on. View this article to find out how to tell what domain your computer is managed with: Computer Domain-MacOS
CLA Domain Server Addresses Network Drive Common Name Server Address Access H Drive smb://clafs3.cla.tamu.edu/Home/netid Only you have access to the H drive. S Drive smb://clafs3.cla.tamu.edu/shares/DEPT
Everyone in your department can see items in the S drive.
There are some folders in the S drive that only select people can view. This varies by department; please ask your local Liberal Arts IT professional if you are unsure about a folder's access or need a folder with restricted access.
U Drive smb://clafs3.cla.tamu.edu/shares/Universal
Everyone in the College of Liberal Arts can see items in the U drive.
There are some folders in the U drive that only select people can view. Please ask your local Liberal Arts IT professional if you are unsure about a folder's access or need a college-wide folder with restricted access.
- Click the + button to save this server address to your list of favorites. This will make it easy to reconnect to this network drive location later.
- Click Connect.
How to Authenticate
When connecting to a network drive your computer may ask for authentication to connect:
- Your computer may request a name and password. Make sure you "Connect As: Registered User".
- If you connected to a CLA network drive, enter your firstname.lastname@example.org in the "Name" field and your NetId password in the "Password" field.
- If you connected to a CLLA network drive, enter your NetId in the "Name" field and your Liberal Arts computer password in the "Password" field.
- Click Connect