Connect to Network Drives used by the College of Liberal Arts on a computer running a Windows operating system.
Connecting Off Campus
If you are connecting to a Liberal Arts network drive off campus, establish a VPN connection first. Instructions can be found here: Connect to TAMU VPN
- Open File Explorer.
- On the left side of the File Explorer window click This PC (or My Computer if you have Windows 7).
- In the File Explorer window click Map network drive.
In the Map Network Drive window choose the appropriate drive letter from the drop-down menu. In the Folder field, type the server address for the network drive you want to map.
Your computer and department are managed with the CLA domain. Map the network drive based on the domain your computer is on. View this article to find out how to tell what domain your computer is managed with: Computer Domain-WindowsOS
CLA Domain Server Addresses Network Drive Common Name Server Address Access H Drive \\clafs3.cla.tamu.edu\shares\home\netid Only you have access to the H drive. S Drive \\clafs3.cla.tamu.edu\shares\DEPT
Everyone in your department can see items in the S drive.
There are some folders in the S drive that only select people can view. This varies by department; please ask your local LAIT professional if you are unsure about a folder's access or need a folder with restricted access.
Everyone in the College of Liberal Arts can seeitemsintheU drive.
There are some folders in the U drive that only select people can view. Please ask your local LAIT professional if you are unsure about a folder's access or need a college-wide folder with restricted access.
Click Finish. The mapped network drive will pop-up in a new File Explorer window and can now be seen under Network locations in This PC.
If you are connecting to a drive on a domain different from your computer, or if you are connecting from a non-university owned computer, you may need to complete additional steps below.
How to Authenticate
When connecting to a network drive your computer may need additional authentication to connect:
- In the Map Network Drive window, select Connect using different credentials.
- Click Finish.
- A Windows Security box will pop-up.
- If you connected to a CLA network drive, your username should be auth.tamu.edu\netid where netid is your NetId. Enter your NetId Password in the "Password" field.
- If you connected to a CLLA network drive, your username should be clla\netid where netid is your NetId. Enter your Liberal Arts computer password in the "Password" field.
- If the Windows Security box does not automatically offer the correct username, click More choices.
- Click Use a different account and you will be offered a User name and Password field.
- Check the Remember my credentials box if you want Windows to remember your password in the future.
- Click OK